International Baccalaureate (IB) Program
The Baldwin School of Puerto Rico is a member of an ever growing global community of schools offering the International Baccalaureate in over 147 countries. We are fully authorized in the Primary Years (PYP), Middle Years (MYP), and Diploma (DP) programs, the 318th school in the world, and the first in Puerto Rico, to be designated as an IB Continuum School.
The International Baccalaureate (IB) is a non-profit foundation established in 1968, providing an international curriculum standard for three challenging programs: the Primary Years Program (PYP), Middle Years Program (MYP), and Diploma Program (DP). As of 2010, there are over 3,040 schools offering at least one of the IB programs in 139 countries around the world.
The International Baccalaureate (IB) instructional approach reflects real life by encouraging learning within and beyond traditional subjects with meaningful, in-depth inquiries into relevant local, community and worldwide issues. Learning opportunities provide for individual and collaborative planning and research and a strong foundation for lifelong learning, as well as encouraging community service, action and reflection.
The Primary, Middle Years, and Diploma programs form a coherent sequence of education by promoting the development of the whole person through an emphasis on intellectual, personal, emotional and social growth.
In all three programs, the education of the whole person is manifested through all domains of knowledge, involving the major traditions of learning in languages, humanities, sciences, mathematics and the arts.
Furthermore, all three programs:
- Require study across a broad range of subjects drawing on content from educational cultures across the world
- Give special emphasis to language acquisition and development
- Encourage learning across disciplines
- Focus on developing the skills of learning
- Include, to a varying extent, the study of individual subjects and of transdisciplinary areas
- Provide students with opportunities for individual and collaborative planning and research
- Include a community service component requiring action and reflection